"Every child deserves a home." --Harry Holt

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Gratitude: Day 2

Yesterday morning, the husband and I 'woke' up after a week of very little sleep. Cupcake seemed to be having nightmares in the first half of the night. She would wake up crying which is rare for her. She would then be difficult to calm down and get back to sleep (even more rare). We investigated if she was eating something that was bothering her tummy, or if there was an issue with too much stimulation throughout the day. She loves to dance, so I had been playing music, etc. throughout the day which she seemed to love, but I thought maybe it was making sleep difficult. Prior to this happening, she would maybe wake up during the night about once a week, and she wasn't usually crying, but just needed a quick snuggle to get back to sleep. She was averaging between 10 and 12 hours of sleep a night. It was bliss. After trying different things and nothing working out, I decided it was time to head to urgent care to make sure she didn't have something else going on. 

Cupcake and I were up extra early due to her difficulty sleeping, and so we had the privilege of being at urgent care when it opened! Turns out, she has a pretty bad ear infection in her left ear. Poor thing! Now, I feel like an idiot for not checking that out days earlier. Cupcake just gives no indication that something is bothering her (other than lack of sleep). She is happy all day long, she doesn't tug at her ears, no other clues. 

It was just amazing to me that I went to the Dr. and the pharmacy and was home again with a little girl started on antibiotics in an hour and a half. I could make this post complaints about the healthcare system and insurance coverage in this country, but the fact is, my family is part of the 1% and I'm grateful. There are children around the world dying and suffering from PREVENTABLE diseases. Our trip to the Dr. and pharmacy didn't break the bank and I didn't have to walk miles with a 1 year old to have her looked at. AMAZING. I'm so grateful. 

Maybe, just maybe, I can post tomorrow about how I'm grateful for a full night of sleep! The hardest part for me about getting up in the middle of the night is that once Cupcake is back to sleep, I can't fall asleep myself. So, if Cupcake is up for an hour, I'm up for three. I remind myself in the middle of the night what a privilege it is to get up with her. I'm so blessed to be the one to rock her back to sleep when she doesn't feel well. (That is harder to grasp at 3am, but I keep trying).

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...