"Every child deserves a home." --Harry Holt

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Hide Your Wallet, Or Not...Whatever

Normally, I would consider myself someone that doesn't really like to discuss $, and I especially don't like to ask for it. I guess I've changed, or the internets makes it easier to just put your heart out there and see what happens. Plus, the entire adoption experience took me so far out of my 'comfort zone' that my boundaries have definitely been stretched. Also, it helps that the money isn't for my handbag addiction.

There are 2 causes on my heart. First, there is a drought in East Africa. It is literally killing people. I get sick to my stomach when I read the stories and see the photos. We don't want our daughter to be the poster child for starving children, but it is nearly impossible to see photos of these families and children starving to death and not see that it could have been her future. We were already aware that her first mother made a life-saving decision for her, and the drought truly hits that home. It is impossible to look at the photos, see the 'statistics' and read the heartbreaking stories without wondering about Cupcake's first relatives. 

"When a poor person dies of hunger it has not happened because God did not take care of him or her. It has happened because neither you nor I wanted to give that person what he or she needed." --Mother Teresa


There is an extremely easy way to help those suffering in the drought. It is Ask5 for 5. All that is needed is your donation of $5 and then passing on the information on via e-mail, facebook or twitter. If many give a small gift, it turns into a big gift. See the official page here: http://seeyourimpact.org/members/ask5for5/


The other cause on my heart? Children! More specifically, children and families facing serious medical challenges. Like many things in this world, I think we can all agree that this would be difficult. THEN, you put a face and a heart to the situation and it becomes 8 gabillion times more powerful. Read more here. There is a donate button in the top right sidebar, and I am $20 away from my goal for Breley's fund. 


Alright, I'm done asking for your hard-earned dollars. It will be safe to have your pocketbooks around me, I promise.







No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...