"Every child deserves a home." --Harry Holt

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

1 Month Together

Yesterday marked our 1 Month Famiversary. Today, we have our first post-placement visit with our social worker (then again at 3 months and 6 months). I'm actually excited for our social worker to visit. For starters, she is great. I also have a list of questions for her about adoption adjustment, and just parenting in general...let's face it, I have no idea what I'm doing 85% of the time, though I've managed to figure out a thing or two this last month. 

This last month has brought a change in sleeping patterns, a change in when we leave the house (never), a change in how we spend our evenings together, a change in the stuff that decorates our house (I'm staring at plastic toys that play crazy music all littering my floor). This last month has also brought a sense of contentment. Don't get me wrong, we still have moments of exhaustion, there are thoughts of how nice it would be to just run an errand and not have to pack up for any possible emergency, there are moments where it would be nice to just head on over to the movie theater, but then you look at Cupcake's mischievous smile and are reminded of the new purpose of our family. We have been blessed beyond measure, and we know it. I know from blog and book reading that attachment and bonding could be 2 million x harder than it has been so far, and I did my best to prepare myself mentally for the harder version (which is possibly why I read into every interaction that Cupcake has with us). 

We have been changed in ways that I could not have possibly imagined in the last month, as well. For example, I vacuumed the living room at 8am, and already had a load of laundry going. Normally, I would either have been at work or still sleeping at 8am if I didn't have to work. Also, I have NEVER been a morning person. My mom still reminds me how awful it was to wake me up in the morning. K doesn't complain if he needs to wake me up, because I think he likes to be married to me, and so he knows better than to complain about it (even though I've been known to snap when waking up, and my normal line when he says, "Good morning," is "What's so good about it?" I do become a kinder version within a few minutes of waking, but it takes me a little time to adjust and reset my mood. I don't know why. My father wakes up between 5 and 6am, my mom considers 8am sleeping in...I just like the night hours (I am most productive in the evening hours). Wow, that was quite a tangent there. My point was, prior to Cupcake and her schedule dictating how the house is run, I perform chores in the morning when that NEVER happened prior to her. Her daddy is a bit of a work-a-holic. It could have been worse, but he was the type of person to go to work early and leave late. Sometimes, he would come home, have dinner, chat with me for a bit, and then do a little work from home. He has only been back to work for a couple of weeks, but he goes into work at a more "on-time" rate than early, and he comes home earlier than he had previously. These are just a couple of the ways Cupcake has altered our lives, and probably all for the better. 

Thanks for following our journey! Just a quick reminder that there is still time to donate to Breley's fund using the button on the top, right corner (c'mon, you knew I was going to mention it). I am $15 away from my goal. FOVC and 'Ask 5 for 5' (both drought relief) are also still in the fundraising game if you are willing and able.



 

1 comment:

SaraLyons said...

How is it possible she get even cuter every time you post a new pic*sigh*.....so sweet....

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...